Skip to Content

How to Change a Child Support Order?


There are circumstances that may require that you seek changes to a child support order in Texas. Whether you are dealing with a financial hardship or life-altering event, it may be necessary for you to change the amount of child support you pay. Fortunately, there are steps you can take that allow you to make adjustments while still satisfying your child support obligations.

The first step in modifying a child support order is to make a request, according to the Office of Child Support Enforcement. You may submit and an oral or written request to the Office of the Attorney General. It is also necessary to fill out a Child Support Review Questionnaire. Once you complete the questionnaire, submit it to the office that is handling your case.

Even though the courts are responsible for setting or modifying child support payments, the OAG can intervene to help speed up the process. The OAG relies on a Child Support Review process when it considers changing a child support order. Because this is a judicial process, the court still reviews every motion filed to modify child support arrangements.

Child support cases handled by the OAG are also known as IV-D cases. This refers to Title IV-D of the 1975 Social Security Act which is a federal law mandating that states oversee child support enforcement programs. In the state of Texas, the OAG’s Child Support Division functions in that capacity. Its role is to ensure children receive the financial resources necessary for their well-being.

This content provides you with an overview of what you may encounter when seeking to change a child support order, but it is not legal advice.